Our Frequently Asked Questions
What is RealSAM Pocket?
RealSAM Pocket is a voice controlled smart device that is designed to be simple to use and of enormous value to people living with sight loss and blindness. We install our software on a Samsung mobile phone, and it completely takes over the phone. More than just a phone for the blind, you can use your voice you can make phones calls, search for and stream audio books from 5 libraries, read today’s newspapers, get navigation or sight assistance and much, much more.
What are the parts of RealSAM Pocket?
RealSAM Pocket, or Pocket as we generally call it in the UK, is actually a collection of smart technologies. It’s:
- The handset that controls basic functions such as speech to text conversion, media playing and making calls. It runs on an Android phone, but the user can’t access Android directly.
- A network connection via Wifi or O2/Telefonica.
- An Artificial Intelligence engine on the internet that figures out what users want and responds.
- A variety of sources of content on the internet such as the RNIB Audio library.
- A web portal that allows users, family, friends and carers to update some parts of the device.
Should I wait for the next version?
All users get all the updates, so no one ever misses out on features. Also we only change handsets every couple of years driven by changes with the handset manufacturers. So the answer is generally no. That being said we are about to switch handsets.
What happens at the end of the contract?
Users have lots of options, including continuing on a month to month basis at a reduced price, replacing the handset and going onto a new plan or going WiFi only.