Accessible Newspapers and Magazines for Blind, Visually Impaired and Print Disabled people
When sight loss causes reading print to become a barrier, RNIB Newsagent makes it possible to stay up to date with current events or the latest issue of your favorite magazine.
The RNIB Newsagent is a digital library service operated by the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB), in the United Kingdom. It provides an extensive collection of newspapers and magazines in accessible formats for those who are blind, visually impaired, or print disabled.
What’s available from RNIB Newsagent?
RNIB offers over 200 popular and best-selling newspapers, magazines, and specialty publications. This includes some of the most popular international publications, and major daily and weekend national and local newspapers. The most subscribed to magazines are professionally narrated.
What accessible formats does RNIB Newsagent offer?
With a free subscription to RNIB Newsagent, there are several ways to access the multiple formats most suitable for you. Check out what’s available on the RNIB Newsagent webpage where you can download a complete list of the titles available in each of the accessible formats they provide.
- Get your newspapers and magazines online in an electronic format or a digital audio download. With an electronic format, use the magnifier or screen reader software of your choice to read all the latest articles. E-magazines and e-newspapers can also be e-mailed to you on a regular schedule. With a digital audio download, transfer the file to an mp3 device or listen to it on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Listen to publications on audio CDs or audio on USBs delivered to your door.
- Digital Accessible Information System format on CDs, or DAISY CDs, can be delivered to you, allowing you to take advantage of navigational features on a DAISY player.
- Get the news in Braille or Big Print. Magazines and newspapers available in Braille are delivered in double-sided and contracted Braille book format.
- And the best news is, as a RealSAM Pocket customer, you get a complimentary subscription to the RNIB Newsagent so you can access newspapers and magazines each day for free! Simply tap on the ‘talk’ button and say, ‘What newspapers do you have?’ Stream hundreds of newspapers without downloading or waiting for the mail.
How can I find out more about RNIB Newsagent?
RNIB Newsagent is FREE to RealSAM Pocket customers in the UK!
If you don’t have a RealSAM Pocket service, visit the RNIB Newsagent website or call the RNIB Helpline on 0303 123 9999 to get price information, subscription types, or a free trial sample of the RNIB Newsagent.
To learn more about reading for those with sight loss or who are print disabled, check out these related articles:
By Guenivir Kendrick with help from ChatGPT
Royal National Institute of Blind People. (2023). Newsagent. RNIB. Retrieved April 24, 2023, from https://www.rnib.org.uk/living-with-sight-loss/independent-living/reading-and-books/newsagent/